Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ahmedabad Trip: Adalaj Stepwell

18 hours bus journey to Ahmedabad was an awful experience and a lesson to plan trips in advance. Due to my laziness, I was not able to book train tickets which cost me my comfort and sleep. Anyway, after reaching to Ahmedabad (21st Oct), my beautiful host showed me the hotel and left me there for uncertain number of hours. After spending 4 dreadful hours in hotel room, I was taken out for Ahmedabad tourism.

We went to Adalaj Stepwell, which was approximately 10Km far from my hotel. The Stepwell is a well surrounded by steps situated in Adalaj village. A larger section of the monument is inaccessible to people, so it is difficult to understand the place well. But still the location was worth spending the time.


Direct from Wikipedia
The stepwell was built in 1499 by Muslim king Mohammed Begda for Queen Rani Roopba, wife of Veer Singh, theVaghela chieftain. The step well or 'Vav', as it is called in Gujarati, is intricately carved and is five stories in depth. Such step wells were once integral to the semi arid regions of Gujarat as they provided basic water needs for drinking, washing and bathing. These wells were also venues for colorful festivals and sacred rituals.

Though the monument is small, yet this place is a wonderful and marvelous piece of Hindu architecture. Design engraved on stones and walls is prodigious. It is the five story monument where every story is supported by beautiful pillars erected in symmetry surrounding the well.


Apart from the well, this monument has a well maintained garden to rest; that's why this monument is used as a gutar gu place for lovers. This Stepwell is freely accessible to the public so sometimes you may catch some live action in the garden.

I feel everyone, visiting to Ahmedabad, must visit Stepwell once to know, and see the rich architecture, and the profound planning of ancient time.

PS: I was not aware about the place, so I did not carry my camera; hence I could take any pics at my own. Pics used in the blog are taken from other sites.

1 comment:

  1. Adalaj is one of the ancient city of Gujarat & it has the famous tourist attraction - 'Adalaj Vav'

    ReplyDelete